
The only Middle East round of V8s next year will be at Yas Marina in Feb 2011-image copyright Darren Rycroft-Anysportphotos.com
Bahrain, Oct 29th- Following detailed discussions last week between the Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) and the organisers of the V8 Supercars Australia Championship Series, the decision has been taken to no longer hold the Desert 400 as part of the V8 Supercar schedule.
The Desert 400 has been one of the marquee events in the V8 Supercars calendar since 2006, when Bahrain became the first country to host Australia’s premier motorsport series in the Gulf region. The decision not to host the Desert 400 at the BIC was driven by the constraints of BIC’s international racing calendar, as Bahrain prepares to host a GP2 event in February and the opening round of the 2011 FIA Formula 1™ World Championship on March 11-13, 2011.
In announcing the decision, BIC Chief Executive Officer, Shaikh Salman bin Isa Al Khalifa, commended the understanding of V8 Supercars organisers. “This has been a very big decision for the BIC and could only been achieved thanks to our long-standing partnership with Tony Cochrane and his team at the V8 Supercars Championship Series,” Shaikh Salman said.
“After four world-class events together, all of us at the BIC are grateful for their understanding of the logistical challenges that faced Bahrain in trying to organise two major international race meetings in the timeframe available. The Desert 400 has built innumerable links between the Middle East and the competitors, fans and organisers of the V8 Supercars – we have many friends in the Australian V8 series and we will continue to track the Championship with interest and maintain our great relationship in the future.”
The 2011 Formula 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix will open the new World Championship season on March 11-13, while the 2011 V8 Supercar Championship Series will commence its racing season at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi on February 11-12. Commenting on the decision Martin Whitaker, Chief Executive Officer of V8 Supercars Australia said:
“Bahrain was the pioneer of V8 Supercars racing in the Middle East. The success of the race was the catalyst for developing the double-header with Abu Dhabi but we fully understand the challenges that Bahrain is now facing with the proximity of the Desert 400 to the opening round of the FIA Formula 1™ World Championship. There will always be a really strong affinity and friendship between the Kingdom of Bahrain, Bahrain International Circuit and V8 Supercars and we wish them luck in the future as the circuit continues to lead the development of motorsport and corporate hospitality in the region”.
The 2011 V8 Supercar Championship Series calendar will be announced this week.
The 2011 V8 Supercar calendar:
Feb 10-12: Yas V8 400 Yas Marina Circuit Abu Dhabi UAE
Mar 17-20: Clipsal 500 Adelaide Parklands Adelaide (F)
Mar 24-27: Australian Grand Prix Albert Park Melbourne*
April 15-17: ITM 400 Hamilton` Hamilton Hamilton, NZ
May 6-8: Perth Barbagallo Raceway Perth (F)
May 20-22: Winton Winton Motor Raceway Winton, Vic
June 17-19: SkyCity Triple Crown Hidden Valley Darwin
July 8-10: Sucrogen Townsville 400 Reid Park Townsville (F)
Aug 19-21: Ipswich Queensland Raceway Ipswich (F)
Sep 16-18: L&H 500 Phillip Island Phillip Island
Oct 6-9: Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 Mount Panorama Bathurst (F)
Oct 21-23: Armor All Gold Coast 600 Surfers Paradise Gold Coast
Nov 11-13: Falken Tasmania Challenge Symmons Plains Launceston
Nov 18-20: Norton 360 Sandown Challenge Sandown Raceway Melbourne (F)
Dec 2-4: Sydney Telstra 500 SydneyOlympic Park Sydney (F)
(Jan 29: Pre-Season Test Day Eastern Creek Sydney)
