MotoGP: Track conditions deemed unsafe as MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 races all cancelled after lengthy delay
After the rain came down on Saturday and track conditions caused delays, the decision was taken to change the schedule for Sunday at the GoPro British Grand Prix. The MotoGP™ race was rescheduled for 11:30 local time (GMT +1), with the hour chosen according to the latest weather reports available at the time.
On Sunday, Warm Up sessions began at 9:00, with MotoGP™ out first, and the weather began to steadily worsen. By the time riders were on the grid awaiting lights out for the race at 11:30, they were worse still and the decision was taken to delay the start.
That began a long day of delays, with conditions continually monitored, until a decision was reached: conditions were not safe to race in and the track surface was too dangerous in the rain.
Racing was therefore cancelled and MotoGP™ will now head for Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli for the next round.
Managing Director of Silverstone, Stuart Pringle, apologised to the fans after the announcement – and says they will get in touch with each of them in the coming days to explain what action will be taken in the wake of the cancellation.
Cal Crutchlow – “I’m devastated not to be able to race at my home Grand Prix, it was very disappointing that today went how it did with regards to the weather situation. The safety commission decided that we delayed and delayed all day and then decided finally that the track condition was not safe to ride due to standing water on the asphalt. But it was a very, very sad day for the fans and I’m truly sorry for them having come out in force to support me and all the MotoGP racers. We’re just sorry we couldn’t put on a show, as always I would have tried my best and I will try my best in the next Grand Prix also.”