Dubai: Kartdrome to host record grids in second edition of O-Plate
26th January 2015- Dubai Kartdrome is bracing for the biggest karting race day ever held in the UAE, with the O-Plate on Friday (30 January) already boasting over 150 entries and a collection of prizes for winners which also happens to makes it the region’s ‘richest’ event for this form of racing.
It is going to be an action packed day at the country’s busiest and most popular karting venue, eight practice and qualifying sessions will be followed by 24 races during the course of the day.
As a result of the prestige and resultant hype in the karting community, the O-Plate has attracted the top karters from the UAE and region, along with several international drivers using the event as a European preseason warm-up.
Kartdrome assistant manager David Bright explained the concept, “The purpose of the O-Plate race day is to give drivers, who may not have time to compete in a full UAE Championship, the opportunity to race in a one-off , high profile event with this kind of prestige. The winners of their respective categories will be crowned 2015 Dubai Kart Open Champion, and with this comes bragging rights.”
“This year, we are expecting between at least a dozen international drivers to participate racing in Junior, Senior, DD2 and Open Class, which hopefully sets the trend to attract drivers from abroad to future O-Plate races,” added Bright.
Some of the big names include recently crowned Rotax DD2 world champion Sean Babbington, along with local top guns such as Tom Bale, Rami Azzam, Piers-Pakenham Walsh, Alexandre Silanine, Emanuele Pagani, Fabienne Lanz, Patrick Hannah, the Rawahi brothers Abdullah and Sanad.
Biggest feature of the weekend is the unprecedented prize pool contributed by just about every company involved with karting in the UAE. Prizes include:
- Energy UAE Kart Team to provide Senior Max winner fully paid factory drive at one of the rounds for the 2015 World CIK KF championships.
- Energy UAE Kart Team to provide SWS runner-up half day training with 2014 DD2 world champion Sean Babbington
- Energy UAE Kart Team will provide SWS Senior winner with a fully paid Rotax Max Challenge entry for the next Kartdrme round include ing a new set of tyres, complete race kart and technical assistance
- Swiss Hutless Karts UAE will provide a brand new, micro max rolling chassis, with Rotax Kart Products providing 20% off a Micro Max engine for the winner.
- Scalextric slot car set for winner of Bambino class
- Dubai Kartdrome to provide Micro Max and Mini Max winners a party for 10 at the indoor
- TAG Heuer to provide watches for winners of Open Class, DD2, DD2 Masters, Junior Max, and to the runner-up in Max Seniors
- Formula Gulf 1000 to provide single seater test session for Senior Max champion (provided he or she has never driven FG1000 before)
- Dubai Autodrome to provide Single Seater Experience for Open Class winner, a Clio Cup Experience for DD2 Masters winner, and an Audi R8 Experience to the DD2 winner
- Additional prizes for top five to be supplied by Rotax Kart Products UAE, OMP and Sodi Kart UAE.
Kartdrome manager Ryan Trutch commented, “The generosity of the prize givers has been amazing, showing that the karting community is devoted to growing the sport and rewarding those that excel at all levels. We have to thank and applaud the company’s, teams and drivers for their support of this O-Plate event.”
Action on Friday begins at 9:05 am with practice for the Bambino class, followed by qualifying for Micro Max, Open Class, Mini Max, Senior Max, Junior Max and DD2, followed by the first of twelve heats for all classes starting at 10:45 am.
The first final, for Micro Max is scheduled for 15:20 pm. Also on the day are finals for SWS Juniors and qualifying plus two races for SWS Seniors which begin at 17:40 pm, followed by the podium ceremony at 19:00 pm.
Entry to the Kartdrome for spectators is free on the day.